Your domain name is one of the most important decisions you’ll make as an eCommerce entrepreneur. To that end, there’s one thing that you need to do above all else.
Quick – think of an online storefront. If you’re like most people, the first one that sprang to mind was either eBay or Amazon. There’s a very good reason for that – it’s because in addition to being some of the largest eCommerce giants on the web, both sites have their branding completely down.
That includes their domain names. See, they’ve both hit on something essential to establishing a successful brand on the web. And that’s that whatever else you do with your domain name – whatever you come up with – you’ll need to work hard at creating it.
“Choosing a domain name for your ecommerce website is one of the most important decisions you’ll make for your business,” reads a piece on Volusion. “Your name is the first piece of your brand users will experience, and serves as a symbolic placeholder for your business in the minds of users…Many people imagine the creative marketing genius passively ruminating until the right idea strikes. But this isn’t how brilliant marketing happens in the real world. Success most often comes through a rigorous process with definable steps.”
A good domain name is short and simple. It is easy to remember and easy to sell. It offers a unique combination of discoverability and brandability.
In order to come up with one that shares all of those traits, there are a few steps you can follow.
- Think about details like your brand values and location. Is there anything related to either that would make a good domain name; something that you think embodies your business?
- Do a bit of keyword research. Come up with as many words related to your brand as possible, and any words that are related to those words. You might consider even using a thesaurus, or a keyword tool like ReloadSEO on Shopify
- In addition to keywords, think of phrases people might type into a search engine when they’re looking for your site.
- Don’t be afraid to invent some new words, either by combining or intentionally misspelling existing ones.
- Study your products – think about words directly related to some of them.
- Talk to someone outside your business for a fresh perspective – a friend or a colleague, for instance.
- Try a domain name creation tool, like Bust A Name, Domainr, or Domain Name Soup.
Your domain name is an incredibly important part of your online presence. You need to be intelligent in your selection. And that means doing your homework. Put in the necessary effort, and you’re sure to come up with one that’s great.
Christina Coons is a professional digital marketer at Northcutt, an inbound marketing agency. She specializes in e-commerce, social media, and public relations, and spends her days helping brands succeed online.